Thursday, March 6, 2008

I measure time in terms of audio books listened to.

So effing tired it's difficult to think beyond that, but I have managed to get things done. Lab work proceeds, which is just about all one can expect from lab work, and I may have something approaching data. Yesterday during the two-hour break I had while my Northern was transferring I walked down to Dawn Treader Books and picked up several volumes of poetry, which can count as my parents' birthday present to me. I got a volume of Keats, an Anthology of Poetry from the English Renaissance which contains Donne and a bunch of others but no Shakespeare (apparently they think you can get your damn Shakespeare from somewhere else, if you want it that badly), and, best of all, an extremely old and beat up Collected Verse of Rudyard Kipling. Not only do I love Kipling (which I think makes me unsophisticated, but screw the people who decide these things; they probably think I should like Frost and Walt fucking Whitman), but the book is so battered it is completely unreadable, which means I have to rebind it. How spectacular! A nicely rebound book of Kipling's verse will make me a very happy bibliophile.


In football news, Schalke made it through to the quarter-finals on penalties. I don't quite know how to feel about this -- on the one hand I am glad that there is one Bundesliga representative proving that German football is worth something on the European stage, but on the other had I hate Schalke with an intensity bordering on loathing. So I hate that the representative of German football is the one team in Germany that I hate, and I hate that I have to -- and I have to -- support them, and I hate that this will make their incredibly obnoxious fan base just that much more incredibly obnoxious. And of course it's highly likely that the only representative of Serie A will be Roma, because it will really take a pure, Athens-style miracle to send Inter through, but that's of less concern because I have no loyalty to Serie A as a whole, as I have to the Bundesliga. So I do not have to support the one Italian team left in the CL as I have to support the one German team left.

And, of course, there is still little adorable Arsenal.

No comments: