Saturday, March 1, 2008

Still need to vacuum up all the plaster dust

So tell me, oh vaunted readership of which I have none because I haven't yet told anyone this blog exists, is titling this blog after a line from Keats pretentious? Because frankly, I was mostly thinking of my father's well-worn joke: "I want to get a Pekingese!" "Why?" "So I could name it Darien!" *cue groan from any well-read listener, which of course are the only people my father makes this joke to*

...Yeah, my family's kind of weird. But it was either this or a line from Sidney Keyes, and that would probably be more pretentious because he's more obscure. Besides, warpoet.blogspot.com was already taken.


Today was relatively productive, as I finally got my curtains up. These curtains, I might point out, have been sitting in their Penney's bag on the floor of my living room since I bought them, which about two weeks after I moved into this flat last September. Said installation was a bit tricky as I went to Home Depot to get special heavy duty screws with little springs on them specially designed for hollow plaster walls of the type you find in badly built apartment buildings, only to discover that the drill I own, commonly known as The Cheapest Drill Ever Made, did not have a drill bit large enough to create a hole that could accommodate both the screw and its little spring. And to top it all off, even if I could have made a hole big enough, the actual hollow portion of the wall was too narrow for the spring to, well, spring as it's supposed to, anyway. All in all, futile, so I just used the little plastic protectors that came with the mounting hardware and am hoping for the best. Fortunately my curtains are light.

Also when I was out, I picked up my Mac laptop (which this post is being written on) from the Apple store, as they had informed me it was repaired. Indeed it seems to be, and I am much calmer now that I have portable internet. Really, it was getting bad. Using the common lab computer at work and having to sit at my desk every time I needed a computer at home was resulting in me turning twitchy and irritable (although since that's my normal state of being, I don't think anyone noticed). And I have my financial software back, meaning I can obsessively-compulsively keep daily track of how poor I am. How I've missed that!

In the afternoon Ashley came over and we watched Milan draw, which was painful for all concerned, and talked a lot about Sandro Nesta's hair. Really, when we get together, it always ends up coming back to someone's hair. I'd worry about us, except that hey, we're Milan fans. We're already so far gone there's no use in worrying.

In actual fact, the only lack of productivity today was my lack of appropriate eating (damn it damn it damn it), and my failure to bestir my arse enough to walk across the street and put my Northerns on to wash, so I'm off now to lab (yes, I know it's quarter to ten in the evening), where I can both get the necessary work done and eat the soup that is currently in the lab fridge. And maybe Ashley will have posted the next part of her totally-not-a-bodice-ripper-at-all historical AU when I return. Ciao, as Milan said to their title hopes about four months ago.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I thought you were referencing Swallows and Amazons, which is what I would have been referencing, since the first chapter is "The Peak In Darien," which is of course a reference by a pack of English school children to Keats.

David said it's pretentious, but surprising. So that's good.

Sarra Bess said...

Yes, but I hated Swallows and Amazons, and only ever got through a couple chapters. They were much more your kind of book than mine.